Research, evaluation or higher education consultancy work
You might want to find out what your staff think about a proposed change or to get their feedback on how things are going. Yet, it may be hard for them to be honest when giving feedback to the organisation. Furthermore, if the area is potentially ‘sensitive’ — such as involving issues around inclusion and diversity – sensitive handling is vital in order to make the consultation meaningful.
Or, do you have a project that you wish to evaluate, such as a training programme or an activity?
In consultation with you, I design and implement research methods to address your challenge. This might include designing and facilitating focus groups, interviews or questionnaires, or conducting desk-based research. I collate this data into a digestible report or other agreed format so that you understand the key issues and can formulate evidence-based actions.
Furthermore, you might be looking for an external person with experience and understanding of higher education contexts to support you with a particular project. My experience working as an academic and subsequently working in Human Resources in higher education provides a useful perspective on common challenges and I am able to gain trust from diverse parts of an organisation.
If you have a challenge or a project related to my areas of experience and skills please get in touch to see how we might work together.
I have experience of undertaking qualitative research within higher education (in my Athena SWAN Manager role), in the private, public and charity sectors.
- Qualitative research for a leading global tech company (2021)
- Qualitative research for the Equality and Human Rights Commission (2020)
External Evaluator experience includes:
- Domestic Abuse Practitioner Standard developed by the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner for Northumbria (2019-2021)
- Cocaine and Crack-Cocaine harm reduction at Change, Grow, Live, Newcastle (2019-2020)
- Women of Tyneside project at Tyne and Wear Archives and Museums (2017-2019)
Higher Education Consultancy:
- Communications project support at Manchester Metropolitan University (2020)
- REF Equality Impact Assessment support University of Bedfordshire (2019 and 2021)
What it’s like to work with me:
Thanks to Julie for her support in reviewing and developing our approach to engagement with academic colleagues at Manchester Met. during the COVID pandemic. Her ability to quickly understand our context and translate a huge volume of complex information into meaningful content were incredibly valuable to us. Julie was a pleasure to work with and incredibly flexible in supporting our needs. – SAMUEL MCVAIGH, ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF HUMAN RESOURCES AND ORGANISATIONAL DEVELOPMENT, MANCHESTER METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY